NOTE: Scholarships are temporarily suspended
AMHI Educational Scholarships
The AMHI awards one to five $3,000 educational scholarships to worthy recipients from across the country. The scholarships may be used to pay tuition for college, trade school, or vocational training. Selection is based on the ability and aptitude for serious study, community service, leadership, financial need, and achievement with Morgan horses. The educational scholarship applicants are limited to high school seniors.
Current and past years' scholarship donors include:
- 2012 AMHI Paul J. Stephan Memorial Award
- 2012 AMHI Wheat State Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2012 AMHI Denise Wetmore Memorial Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2012 AMHI $1,000 Van Schaik Dressage Scholarship
- 2011 AMHI Mendonhall, Inc. Scholarship in loving memory of Michele Kimmelman Snyder
- 2011 AMHI Cy Tirrell Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2011 AMHI Graywood Youth Horsemanship Grant
- 2011 AMHI $1,000 Van Schaik Dressage Scholarship
- 2010 AMHI Wheat State Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2010 AMHI Helen Brunk Greenwalt and Doris Greenwalt Ryan Memorial Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2010 AMHI Dan and Leslie Kelley Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2009 AMHI Joan Bowers Memorial Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2009 AMHI Gloria Jones Memorial Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2009 AMHI Wheat State Educational Youth Scholarship
- 2008 AMHI Shoo-fly Educational Youth Scholarship - Chuck and Carol Hudson
- 2008 AMHI Peeper Ranch Autism Awareness Educational Youth Scholarship - Brad and Dawn Fire
- 2008 AMHI Wild Rose Ranch Educational Youth Scholarship - Rocky and Diana Schliefer
- 2005 AMHI Mark Hanna Educational Scholarship - The Kabel Family
- 2004 AMHI Wheat State Regional Morgan Horse Show Educational Scholarship
- 1991-2003 significant, long term contributions to the scholarship program) - Heritage Classic
Deadline: March 1 | Click HERE for more information
AMHI Graywood Youth Horsemanship Grant
The Graywood Youth Horsemanship Grant is provided through the generosity of the Graywood Foundation, Inc. The American Morgan Horse Institute (AMHI) administers this program.
Many young people do not enjoy the advantages of personal ownership or affiliation with a training stable or breeding farm. This grant provides at least one Morgan youth per year the opportunity to spend three to five days
- furthering his or her study in the mastery of horse care and keeping;
- receiving tutelage from breed professionals in breeding and management, horse training, riding, driving, or any combination;
- riding and/or driving quality Morgan horses in order to improve proficiency;
- acquiring skills and knowledge from “hands-on” experience.
The Graywood Foundation hopes that the benefits of the program will positively augment the recipient’s education and experience in ways which he or she may not otherwise access. Deadline: March 1 | Click HERE for more information
AMHI van Schaik Dressage Scholarship
One annual award of $1,000 is given to a Morgan individual wishing to further his or her skill, knowledge, or proficiency in classically-ridden dressage. This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Dr. H.L.M. van Schaik, who fought throughout his life to preserve the classical art of horsemanship in dressage. To Dr. van Schaik, this meant utilizing gentleness, psychology and the horse’s innate qualities to develop a horse that is useful, willing, and correct in his work.
The scholarship is made available through the generosity of a friend of Morgans and dressage. Selection of candidates emphasizes helping a rider move from the lower levels of dressage to Fourth Level and above. Deadline: | Click HERE for more information
AMHI Paul J. Stephan Memorial Award
The AMHI Paul J. Stephan Memorial Award is given in memory of Paul J. Stephan, who bred, trained, and presented fine Morgan Horse champions. A talented and devoted horseman, Mr. Stephan did not come from a privileged family nor was he raised on a horse. His introduction to Morgan horses and the industry came as a 17-year-old when he lacked direction in his life. Morgan horses gave him his life’s work, became his passion, and brought him much enjoyment and success. It was his wish to provide a similar opportunity to other young men by encouraging them to further their education and make Morgan horses their life’s work as well.
This award is given to a young man under the age of 21 who holds the goal of active professional involvement with the Morgan breed in any capacity. Use of the award includes the following disciplines: training, judging, equine reproduction, professional grooming, stable management, farrier or specialized shoeing, stable apprenticeship, and equine veterinary studies. Deadline: March 1 | Click HERE for more information
AMHI Grand Prix Dressage Achievement Award
This $2,500 award is available to amateur Morgan riders who compete at the Grand Prix level and have received five Grand Prix scores with a median score of 60 per cent or better while riding a Morgan. This award is made available through the generosity of a friend of Morgans and dressage. Deadline: March 31| Click HERE for more information
If you are inspired to provide educational opportunities to Morgan youth, please click here for the Scholarship Donation Form.